The school governors work together with the Head and other teachers to ensure that Long Wittenham School provides the best possible education for all our children. In particular, governors are responsible for:
- The overall direction of the school – including the steps it needs to take to continue to develop and improve.
- The teaching and learning – making sure that the curriculum is broad and balanced and that all pupils are given the opportunities to achieve their potential.
- Monitoring the progress and achievement that children make.
- The school’s finances – making sure that the budget is monitored and the money well spent.
- Appointing staff, overseeing safeguarding, health and safety and ensuring that the school is inclusive for all pupils and staff.
The role of governors is largely a thinking and questioning role, not a doing role. It is their role to set the school’s strategic framework and to ensure all statutory duties are met. They work to support and strengthen the leadership of the headteacher, and hold them to account for the day-to-day running of the school, including the performance management of teachers. Governors must maintain a strategic view, and not get involved in the day-to-day management and operational responsibilities within school. The headteacher is responsible for the internal organisation, management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing board.
How the Governing Body works
There are six Full Governing Body meetings each year, one every half term. There are 2 committees:
Teaching, Learning & Pastoral Care responsible for looking at:
- Outcomes for pupils including pupil progress, attainment, health and wellbeing
- Achievement of pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- The curriculum taught at Long Wittenham
- The effectiveness of the school safeguarding policy
- How the school is performing against the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools (SIAMS) framework
Finance & HR responsible for looking at:
- Setting the school budget and monitoring spend against the agreed budget
- Staff recruitment, discipline and appraisal
- Health, safety and welfare
Each committee meets three or four times a year. Each governor sits on one of the committees.
The governing body is made up of representatives of the parents, community, church, staff and local authority. A list of current governors can be found below.
Governors can be contacted through the school office or via their email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Governors, and their attendance
|Name||Appointed||Term||Stepped down||Appointed by||Business or financial interests||Governor role in another educational institution||Material interests||FGB Attendance*||Committee Attendance*|
|Scott Lambert||1/11/19||4 years||n/a||School||None||None||Parent||n/a||n/a|
|Emilio Lastra-Gill||01/09/19||4 years||n/a||LA**||None||None||None||n/a||n/a|
|Tom Richardson||20/11/18||4 years||n/a||School||None||None||Parent||4/4||Full|
|Julie Preston||30/10/18||4 years||n/a||School||None||None||Parent||4/4||2/2|
|Judith Baldwin||15/05/19||4 years||n/a||Diocese||None||None||1/1||1/1|
|Emma Rudman||09/05/18||4 years||n/a||School||None||None||Parent||3/5||2/3|
|Peter Jones||26/09/17||4 years||n/a||LA**||None||None||None||5/5||1/3|
|Sam Haynes||08/11/16||4 years||n/a||School||None||None||Parent||4/5||3|
|Philippa Purvis||08/11/16||4 years||n/a||School||Staff||Member of staff in other schools||Staff||5/5||3/3|
|Elizabeth Atherton||10/10/15||4 years renewed for further 4||n/a||Diocese||None||None||Parent||5/5||3/3|
|Alison Bellingham||01/09/16||Permanent||n/a||LA**||Staff||None||Staff||5/5||3/3 & 3/3|
|Lynn Parker||24/03/11||4 years renewed twice||16/07/19||School||None||None||Parent||4/5||3/3|
|Kate Keefe||06/02/18||4 years||01/07/19||LA**||None||None||None||2/5||2/3|
|Liliantha Siriwardene||09/05/18||4 years||10/2/19||School||None||None||Parent||0/3||0/1|
|Annie Eccles||08/11/14||4 years||07/11/18||LA**||None||None||None||1/1||0/1|
* Attendance records for last academic year ** Local Authority
Minutes of Governors meetings
PDFs of the minutes of recent governors meetings can be viewed and downloaded below. (You do not need to sign in to dropbox)